The body of the shortcut

Jogye Order News Jogye Order News
Jogye Order News

English | “Hope to the world, Happiness in the mind”

Page information

Author Jogye On13-04-04 17:58 Views16,154 Comments0

Body

“Hope to the world, Happiness in the mind”

International Volunteers Orientation of 2013 Lotus Lantern Festival (Yeon Deung Hoe)

On April 3, 2013, approximately 80 international volunteers from over 20 countries, such as the US, Germany, France, Vietnam gathered at the Jogye Order Administration Building (Center for Korean Buddhist history and Culture) for an international volunteers orientation. This year’s orientation was organized by Lotus Lantern Festival Preservation Committee and Korean Youth Buddhism Association (KYBA).  

Ms. Amy from Canada commented, “I am very interested in Korean Buddhism. I think it is great that Korean Buddhist nuns (Bhikkhunis) are given more opportunities and highly esteemed in Korean Buddhist community compared to any other Buddhist nations” and added, “I decided to participate because I would like to learn more about meditation and the temple life.”

However, there are many reasons why one decides to volunteer for this program. Some people are simply interested in volunteering, while others came to learn and understand the Korean culture and Buddhism. One international volunteer in particular added that he came to make this one of the most memorable experience he ever had in Korea.

The volunteers will begin their education on April 10th, which will last for the next six weeks. They will first begin with the teachings of Korean Buddhism and Yeon Deung Hoe. Then in following weeks they will participate in a concert and Templestay program until the day of the actual Yeon Deung Hoe on May 11~12, 2013. The volunteers will also gather after the 2013 Lotus Lantern Festival to report their experiences and activities.

The original article can be accessed at  http://www.hyunbulnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=275246

(03144) 55, Ujeongguk-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of KoreaTEL : +82-2-2011-1830FAX: +82-2-735-0614E-MAIL: jokb@buddhism.or.kr
COPYRIGHT ⒞ 2023 JOGYE ORDER OF KOREAN BUDDHISM. ALL RIGHT RESERVED