A Japanese Pilgrim’s Journey to the 33 Sanctuaries Dedicated to Avalokitesvara in Korea > Jogye Order News

The body of the shortcut

A Japanese Pilgrim’s Journey to the 33 Sanctuaries Dedicated to Avalokitesvara in Korea

Page information

Author Jogye On17-07-13 13:06 Views10,203 Comments0

Body

A Japanese Pilgrims Journey to the 33 Sanctuaries Dedicated to Avalokitesvara in Korea

Ms. Mieko Nakamura, a Korean culture enthusiast from Japan, has successfully completed her 3-year pilgrimage to the 33 sanctuaries dedicated to Avalokitesvara in Korea

She received the certificate of accomplishment for pilgrims by Ven. Suam, the Director of the Cultural Corps of Korean Buddhism, on July 11. Ms. Nakamura, who visited Korea once or more every month over the last 15 years, making her trips to the neighboring country for a total of 160 times, started her spiritual journey at Beopjusa in Boeun County in 2014. Ms. Nakamura’s pilgrimage was completed at Ssanggyesa in Hadong County last March.      

She said, “I am very pleased that I finally fulfilled the pilgrimage to the 33 sacred temples dedicated to Avalokitesvara on my own. The certificate by the Cultural Corps of Korean Buddhism makes this year all the more meaningful. I want to visit the 33 sanctuaries again with a new stamp book.”     

Ven. Suam said, “It must have taken sincere dedication for Ms. Nakamura, a foreign visitor to Korea, to make the pilgrimage to the 33 sacred temples of Avalokitesvara, despite logistics and transportation challenges. The Cultural Corps of Korean Buddhism is committed to ensuring that Ms. Nakamura can stay at Buddhist temples and experience Korean Buddhist culture anytime she visits Korea.”  

The Japanese pilgrim also wrote blog posts about her journey (http://ameblo.jp/sunsu9r/entrylist-3.html) and shared them on travel websites, garnering attention from the Korea Tourism Organization.

Started in 2009, the pilgrimage to the 33 sanctuaries dedicated to Avalokitesvara has attracted more and more domestic and international groups and individuals. With the increasing number of participants, importantly free individual travelers, the Cultural Corps of Korean Buddhism aims to further expand the pilgrimage program by developing customized contents for individual pilgrims, while also improving transportation and accommodation inconveniences.  

Article reference: http://www.ibulgyo.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=159054

(03144) 55, Ujeongguk-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of KoreaTEL : +82-2-2011-1830FAX: +82-2-735-0614E-MAIL: jokb@buddhism.or.kr
COPYRIGHT ⒞ 2023 JOGYE ORDER OF KOREAN BUDDHISM. ALL RIGHT RESERVED