New York Wongaksa Temple Launches a New Monthly Templestay Program > Overseas Disctrct News

The body of the shortcut

Jogye Order News Overseas District News
Overseas District News

English | New York Wongaksa Temple Launches a New Monthly Templestay Program

Page information

Author Jogye On24-02-27 09:35 Views732 Comments0

Body

0a4e04c9eab09ef6eb174cc3568e7eec_1708994188_1781.jpg 

0a4e04c9eab09ef6eb174cc3568e7eec_1708994204_093.jpg

New York Wonkaksa(Abbot Ven. Jikwang), the oldest Korean Buddhist temple in the Northeastern United States, started to offer Templestay programs. 

Starting from this year, the temple runs a Templestay program on the last weekend of every month for 2 nights and 3 days. The first program took place from January 26th to 28th, coinciding with the regular Dharma assembly of the 28th.

On the first day of Templestay, the participants gathered at the temple at 6 p.m. for dinner followed by tea time. They joined a series of programs including predawn morning chanting, Seon meditation, walking meditation, and other practices. Particularly, while walking, they expressed their impressions such as "When I looked at the temple in the nature while walking it felt so serene and pure", "I admired the serene beauty of the clean and neat surroundings." and more. Venerable Sunmyeong mentioned, "At the end of the day, again they sincerely engaged in sutra coping. When I told them they didn’t have to, worrying about their shoulder or arm pain, they said they felt comfortable and peaceful even with the pain."

Those wishing to participate in the Templestay program can apply in advance by phone (1-845-497-2229) and arrive at Wonkaksa Temple by 6 p.m. on the last Friday of each month. For participants with transportation difficulties, the temple will provide pickup services at the Palisades Park King Sauna in New Jersey.

Abbot Ven. Jikwang expects that "The Templestay will be a great opportunity to both enjoy the Buddhist practices and meet fellow Buddhists.”

(03144) 55, Ujeongguk-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of KoreaTEL : +82-2-2011-1830FAX: +82-2-735-0614E-MAIL: jokb@buddhism.or.kr
COPYRIGHT ⒞ 2023 JOGYE ORDER OF KOREAN BUDDHISM. ALL RIGHT RESERVED