The body of the shortcut

Resources Korean Zen
Korean Zen

Seon Resources | See Reality as it is with Wisdom Eye

Page information

Author admin On11-03-03 11:33 Views12,345 Comments0

Body

“See Reality as it is with Wisdom Eye”

There is the wisdom eye beneath the stick.

A monk came to visit Seon Master Joju.

“Where are you coming from?”

“I came from the dharma teaching of Seon Master Seolbong.”

“What did the master teach?”

“Seeing the reality of all the world is the wisdom eye of the monk. Where will we, assembled here today, leave our shit?”

Hearing these words, master Joju said, “When you return to the dharma teaching, I will send one shovel with you to offer to Seon Master Seolbong.”

If a monk with wisdom eye were to perceive, one should know that when a speck of dust would fly, the entire sky would cloud over. Likewise, we should know that if one mustard seed would fall, the entire earth would be covered. Not only that, we must know that if one flower were to bloom, a Buddha would appear; and if one leaf were to fall, it would be autumn in the world. If one with a discerning eye were to see, we would know each thing and each being is in their place by evidence and clarity. There are respective distinctions in phenomena, but reason is resolved by one law. This can rightfully be proven by only a great master with an eye that absolutely travels the four directions. Only by attaining the wisdom eye, you will understand the true meaning of this dharma teaching.

Master Seolbong said, “Seeing the reality of all the world is the wisdom eye of the monk. Where will we, assembled here today, leave our shit?” To this master Joju said, “I must send one shovel to Seon Master Seolbong.”

During manhaeng (travel between retreat seasons) of the haeje (free season), I hope that you would unerringly ponder this hwadu of what all this means until an answer comes from the wisdom eye.

The phoenix flies from Mount Dhan and the lion give birth to a scary cub.

The wisdom eye is below the stick! You brag of the zenith in vain.

(03144) 55, Ujeongguk-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of KoreaTEL : +82-2-2011-1830FAX: +82-2-735-0614E-MAIL: jokb@buddhism.or.kr
COPYRIGHT ⒞ 2023 JOGYE ORDER OF KOREAN BUDDHISM. ALL RIGHT RESERVED